|The following is a list of NMIS features. This is by
no means comprehensive but provides and idea of what NMIS can do.
- The entire network is summarised into a single metric, which indicates reachability, availability and health of all network devices being managed by NMIS.
- Summary page for entire network with reachability, availability, health, response time metrics.
- Summary pages of devices including device information, health graph, and interface summary.
- Can be distributed across multiple "polling servers" by
using included programs.
- Policy based event and escalation.
Performance and Fault
- Integrated Fault and Performance Management.
- Color coded events, status for at a glance interpretation.
- Graphing of Interface, CPU, Memory stats for Cisco Routers and Switches.
- Graphs can be drilled into.
- Graphs produced on the fly.
- Graphs can have varying lengths from 2hours to 1 year.
- Interface statistics are returned in Utilisation and/or bits per second.
- Response time graphed and metrics for health and availability generated from statistics collected.
- Threshold engine which send alerts on certain thresholds.
- Escalation subsystem based on device groups which provides a great
deal of granularity.
- Varying event levels for different device types.
- Alert events are issued for device down or interface down.
- Event levels are set according to how important the device is.
- Events are "State full" including thresholds, meaning that an event is only issued once.
- Notification engine can be expanded to handle any "command line" notification method, including email, paging, signs, speakers, etc.
- Integrated logging facility to view NMIS events and syslog messages.
- A list of current events is available and there is an escalation level and time the event has been active.
- Event logging
- Outage time calculated for each down event
- Planned outages can be put in so alerts are not issued
- Find function which searches interface information for node name,
interface name, description, type, IP address, for matching
- Interface information includes IP address information.
- Dynamic handling of ifIndex changes and difficult SNMP interface
- Checking of changes to device details.
- NMIS stores contacts and location information which links to the
SNMP sysContact and sysLocation MIBS.
- Produces DNS and Host records from the collected IP addressing
- Produces DNS LOC records for "visible" traceroute
- Reports for utilisation, outages, etc
- Snapshot and dynamic reporting for metrics on all devices and groups